Skip to main content

The Believers, The Atheists and FAITH


I don't normally participate in our office's online forum. I only visit the forum during my spare time. Months ago, as I was doing my usual reading my attention was caught by the signature of one of my colleagues. It's a qoute from Epicurus.....

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is Malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then hence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Well, maybe it is in our human nature to ask and question God. It is a natural reaction to complain in times of distraught and hopelessness for complaining is the easiest way to handle uncomfortable circumstances. Sometimes we have our own disappointments with God that lead us to doubt His kingship and power. It can cause dilemma that can be compared to the "egg or chicken" dilemma; "who came first, the chicken or the egg".

Friends if you have any doubts regarding God's will and existence, take time to read the following conversation. Maybe you have already read it somewhere and maybe it's too long for you. But I can assure you, it's worth your time and effort. Here it goes.........

An Atheist Professor of Philosophy speaks to his Class on the Problem Science has with GOD, the ALMIGHTY.
He asks one of his New Christian Students to stand and....

Professor : You are a Christian, aren't you, son ?
Student : Yes, sir.
Professor : So you Believe in GOD ?
Student : Absolutely, sir.
Professor : Is GOD Good ?
Student : Sure.
Professor : Is GOD ALL - POWERFUL ?
Student : Yes.
Professor : My Brother died of Cancer even though he Prayed to GOD to Heal him.
Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill.
But GOD didn't.
How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

( Student is silent )

Professor : You can't answer, can you ?
Let's start again, Young Fella.
Is GOD Good?
Student : Yes.
Professor : Is Satan good ?
Student : No.
Professor : Where does Satan come from?
Student : From . . . GOD . . .
Professor : That's right.
Tell me son, is there evil in this World?
Student : Yes.
Professor : Evil is everywhere, isn't it ?
And GOD did make everything. Correct?
Student : Yes.
Professor : So who created evil ?

( Student does not answer )

Professor : Is there Sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness?
All these terrible things exist in the World, don't they?
Student : Yes, sir.
Professor : So, who Created them ?

( Student has no answer )

Professor : Science says you have 5 Senses you use to Identify and Observe the World around you.
Tell me, son . . . Have you ever Seen GOD?
Student : No, sir.
Professor : Tell us if you have ever Heard your GOD ?
Student : No , sir.
Professor : Have you ever Felt your GOD, Tasted your GOD, Smelt your GOD ?
Have you ever had any Sensory Perception of GOD for that matter?
Student : No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.
Professor : Yet you still Believe in HIM ?
Student : Yes.
Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn't exist.
What do you say to that, son?
Student : Nothing. I only have my Faith.
Professor : Yes. Faith and that is the Problem Science has.
Student : Professor, is there such a thing as Heat?
Professor : Yes.
Student : And is there such a thing as Cold?
Professor : Yes.
Student : No sir. There isn't.

( The Lecture Theatre becomes very quiet with this turn of events )

Student : Sir, you can have Lots of Heat, even More Heat, Superheat, Mega Heat, White Heat,
a Little Heat or No Heat.
But we don't have anything called Cold.
We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is No Heat, but we can't go any further after that.
There is no such thing as Cold.
Cold is only a Word we use to describe the Absence of Heat.
We cannot Measure Cold.
Heat is Energy.
Cold is Not the Opposite of Heat, sir, just the Absence of it.

( There is Pin - Drop Silence in the Lecture Theatre )

Student : What about Darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as Darkness?
Professor : Yes. What is Night if there isn't Darkness?
Student : You're wrong again, sir.
Darkness is the Absence of Something.
You can have Low Light, Normal Light, Bright Light, Flashing Light . . .
But if you have No Light constantly, you have nothing and its called Darkness, isn't it?
In reality, Darkness isn't.
If it is, were you would be able to make Darkness Darker, wouldn't you?
Professor : So what is the point you are making, Young Man ?
Student : Sir, my point is your Philosophical Premise is flawed.
Professor : Flawed ? Can you explain how?
Student : Sir, you are working on the Premise of Duality.
You argue there is Life and then there is Death, a Good GOD and a Bad GOD.
You are viewing the Concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure.
Sir, Science can't even explain a Thought.
It uses Electricity and Magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one.
To view Death as the Opposite of Life is to be ignorant of the fact that
Death cannot exist as a Substantive Thing.
Death is Not the Opposite of Life: just the Absence of it.
Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your Students that they evolved from a Monkey?
Professor : If you are referring to the Natural Evolutionary Process, yes, of course, I do.
Student : Have you ever observed Evolution with your own eyes, sir?

( The Professor shakes his head with a Smile, beginning to realize where the Argument is going )

Student : Since no one has ever observed the Process of Evolution at work and
cannot even prove that this Process is an on - Going Endeavor,
are you not Teaching your Opinion, sir?
Are you not a Scientist but a Preacher?

( The Class is in Uproar )

Student : Is there anyone in the Class who has ever seen the Professor's Brain?

( The Class breaks out into Laughter )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's Brain, Felt it, touched or Smelt it? . . .
No one appears to have done so.
So, according to the Established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that
you have No Brain, sir.
With all due respect, sir, how do we then Trust you're Lectures, sir?

( The Room is Silent. The Professor stares at the Student, his face unfathomable)

Professor : I guess you'll have to take them on Faith, son.
Student : That is it sir . . .
the Link between Man & GOD is FAITH.
That is all that Keeps Things Moving & Alive.

Remember:
If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, Be moved from this place to that; and it will be moved; and nothing will be impossible to you. ~Matt. 17:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reminiscing: Ballad of a Mother's Heart

Two weeks ago, I happened to be with the "golden ladies". They were called golden ladies because they're already in their golden age: 50-something. I thought I'll feel awkward because of the age gap but in the end I was wrong. When women at my age had some chit-chats probably it would be about friends, food, fashion, work or even boys (men). On the other hand, these golden ladies were very concerned with their children, grandchildren, and their in-laws (especially). They had some outbursts on how they don't like their in-laws and on how pitiful their children for having the wrong choice of husband/wife. That's when I remembered a poem during my gradeschool. This poem was written by Jose La Villa Tierra. It speaks on the love of parents for their children, how forgiving and how great the love of a mother is for her son/daughter although he/she has hurt her very much. Ballad of a Mother's Heart The night was dark, For the moon was young, And the Stars were a

Oh What A Rain!

I visited the PAG-ASA site today and according to them: Central and Southern Luzon and Visayas will experience monsoon rains. The rest of the country will have mostly cloudy skies with scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms. Moderate to strong winds blowing from the southwest will prevail over Central and Southern Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao and the coastal waters along these areas will be moderate to rough. Elsewhere, winds will be light to moderate coming from the southwest and northwest with slight to moderate seas except during thunderstorms. The rain will probably be pouring down for the next few days. Thinking about waiting for the sunny days, I remembered a song I used to sing with my grade school classmates: If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gum drops Oh, what a rain that would be! I’d stand outside with my mouth open wide—– Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah Oh, what a rain that would be! There's a Tagalog ve

First Love DIES....

I was 15 , when I first saw the spark in him. I've known him since our freshmen days, but it was during that year when I felt something special for him. I would say he was definitely a hearthob. He stole the hearts of many girls but it took him 2 years to have mine. He was the kindest guy I’ve ever met. With those expressive eyes and warm smile, he simply took my breath away. But my young and restless heart knew that he could never be mine. He was just someone I can admire from a distance. Everytime I sign on my classmates' autographs, I marked his initials on the question, ‘who is your crush?’ I even used codenames just to keep my little secret. I wrote some forgotten poems at the back of my notebooks just to express the feelings I kept inside. But these never made me a good writer nor a poet. But a damsel with a story to tell. My classmates in high school, even in college already heard same old story. I was consistent and never hid that precious feeling. ‘I shall return!’ I